Congratulations to the six winners of the Fall IHT Spirit Challenge.
The winning entries are:
- Fun, F.I.T.T.ness and Forever Strong designed by Kelly Spreen and Craig MacDerment, Shelburne Community School, Champlain Valley School District (Vermont)
- Running Unit designed by Kelly Rich, J.T. Nichols Middle School, Middleborough School District (Massachusetts)
- Fit For Life designed by Steve Boone, Lunenburg High School, Lunenburg Public Schools (Massachusetts)
- Fun Frisbee Fitness designed by Andy Pulling, Portland High School, Portland Public Schools (Michigan)
- Fitness Friday H.I.I.T. designed by Kate Muskrat and Allison Rubin, Hampstead Middle School, Hampstead School District (Vermont)
- Fitness Frenzy designed by Matt Carpenter and Sarah Harding, Klem Road North Elementary School, Webster Central School District (New York)
The winning lessons will be featured in the monthly series “Lessons for IHT Spirit.”
Additionally, each winning lesson receives four IHT Zone wrist heart rate monitors configured to be used in conjunction with the new IHT Spirit Mobile App. The mobile app allows teachers to assign and manage make-up work and other homework that students can complete away from their school PE classroom.
Teachers submitted plans for lessons that exemplified three stripes of superstar qualities: students working hard exercising at an elevated heart rate; life lessons that positively impact students; and standards-based lessons that can be adapted to all abilities. Judges selected the six lessons that best exemplified those standards.
“IHT is committed to empowering students, through guidance from the physical education teacher, to take ownership of improving their overall health and physical fitness,” said IHT President Jen Ohlson. “By sharing the best of the lessons entered in the Fall Spirit Challenge, we can help teachers reach more students with lessons that have proven to be both motivating and effective.”
Each month’s lesson will also include a video detailing the lesson and a blog featuring an in-depth look at the teachers and how they designed and implement each workout. Teachers also receive gear from IHT.
December’s lesson will be released this week. Subsequent winning lessons will be released on the first Wednesday of each month.